Cab Chat Radio Show E167 15-05-2018
Hosted this week by @SuperCabby & @Iamcabman
THIS WEEKS NEWS HIGHLIGHTS
* Black Uber Prius ploughs into Bishopsgate Police Station
* Met Police clarify the law on bilking https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/single-post/2018/04/24/The-Metropolitan-police-respond-to-bilking-issues
* Delroy Grant and Helen Chapman accepted onto the My Taxi App with fake documents http://taxileaks.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/taxi-leaks-exclusive-helen-chapman.html
* Someone on Twitter has suggested renaming Uber Cars as Rape Capsules!
* Brighton refuse the relicense Uber
* DAB radio was the future … until live streaming and podcasts arrived http://theconversation.com/dab-radio-was-the-future-until-live-streaming-and-podcasts-arrived-95250?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=facebookbutton
* Alpha Insurance have gone into liquidation and cancelled all policies with immediate affect
* Sign spotted in the back of a Taxi “Please remember to rate your Gett Driver 5 stars”!
* Ubers Autonomous car detected a pedestrian but chose not to stop. https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/611094/in-a-fatal-crash-ubers-autonomous-car-detected-a-pedestrian-but-chose-to-not/
* Val Shawcross retires as Deputy Mayor for Transport after not even completing a full term.
* 200 Electric Jaguars set to transport people to and from Heathrow Airport https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/6245992/fleet-of-200-luxury-jaguar-i-pace-suvs-will-now-chauffeur-passengers-to-and-from-heathrow-airport/
* Cokney Rhyming Slang, is it a dying dialect
* Alpha Insurance goes into Bankruptcy
ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION
Its been suggested that the London Taxi Trade should take out TV adverts!
Insurance company goes into bankruptcy
Is Mayor Khan becoming a danger to London?
Cab Chat Awards!
Customer asked Rob if cash was acceptable?
Geofencing of App work!
DROP KICK RICK JOKE OF THE WEEK
Great show guys. Often listen to this one on the way back home down the M20. One of the best Zeppelin tracks that stuck with me the first time I heard it. Playing it at home the other day( loud) and my 14 year old said wow what’s this dad. He’s now a Zeppelin fan. Cheers guys.
Twitter Username: @jedmcc123
Song Name & Artist: Led Zeppelin, ramble on
VAPE OF THE WEEK
Cooks Custard – Minted
WORD OF THE WEEK
Origin of infomania
Infomania is a modern combination of information and mania. It entered English in the 1970s.
ROBS POINT OF THE WEEK
TRAFFIC NEWS & ROAD CLOSURES
Tudor Street still closed slap bang in the middle
No right turn from West Smithfield into Farringdon Street is permanent
No right turn from Farringdon Street into Chaterhouse Street
On the A100 Byward Street/Tower Hill junction with Trinity Square, works to improve access to the square are taking place. Pipes and cables beneath the road are being moved, the carriageway is being resurfaced and the traffic islands relocated. The works are planned to be completed by this summer
Camden High Street between the junctions of the A400, Kentish Town Road and Inverness Street, will be closed from 22:00 Thursday 24 May to 06:00 Tuesday 29 May while work is carried out at the Underground station. The main Camden High Street taxi rank will be unaffected and there is an additional temporary taxi rank in the parking bays adjacent to the taxi rank to prevent over ranking
From 20:00 on Friday 11 until 20:00 on Sunday 20 May, Station Approach Road will be closed to all vehicles. This is for a crane operation. Taxis should use Spur Road to access the taxi rank.
Until 22:00 on Sunday 26 August, temporary traffic signals will be in use on Fulham Road in both directions, between Old Church St and Brompton Road. This is due to gas works.
From Sunday 13 May until Friday 24 August, White Hart Lane westbound will be closed daily between 12:45 and 19:00, due to area improvement works.
NEW TAXI RANKS
Working Taxi ranks
• Holywell Lane (Citizen M London Shoreditch Hotel) with one space, operating between 19:00 and 07:00
• Turnpike Lane (Turnpike Lane Station) with two spaces, operating between 18:30 and 08:00
• Bounds Green Road (Bounds Green Station) with two spaces, operating between 22:00 and 06:00 • Clapham Road (Stockwell Station) with two spaces, operating between 19:00 and 07:00
• Royal Marsden Hospital, Downs Road, Sutton with two spaces, operating 24 hours
• Great West Road (Osterley Station) with two spaces, operating 24 hours
• Station Road (Chingford Station) with two spaces, operating 24 hours
• St. Martin’s Lane with three spaces, operating 24 hours
• Edgware Road (Crawford Place) with four spaces, operating 24 hours
The following ranks will be out of service:
• 3451, Stratton Street (Langan’s) between 07:00 and 17:00 from today, Thursday 3 until Sunday 27 May. This is due to a crane operation
• 5455, Gray’s Inn Road from 08:00 on Saturday 5 until 18:00 on Sunday 6 May. This is for a crane operation
• 5302, Adams Row from 08:00 until 18:00 on Saturday 5 May. First portion only suspended due to a crane operation
• 5358, Tottenham Court Road (Dominion Theatre) from 07:00 on Tuesday 8 until 18:00 on Friday 18 May. First 10 metres suspended due to carriageway works
• 4479, Westbourne Street (Royal Lancaster Hotel) from 07:00 on Tuesday 8 until 18:00 on Monday 21 May. This is due to carriageway works. A temporary taxi rank will be available
WHATS ON IN LONDON
Here are some of our plans for this year, the 70th anniversary of the founding of the charity.
2-6th May Dutch liberation
8-10th May trip to Portsmouth
24th May event at the Honourable Artillery Company
4th-8th June Normandy commemorations
12th June annual trip to Worthing
26th July parachute jump with Red Devils done by 4 cab drivers, two veterans and me
31st August-3rd September Airborne march in Arnhem
7th October thank you party for drivers
Friday 28th September – Sunday 30th September 25th Year
Hastings Monday 4th June 2018
Margate Monday 2nd July 2018
90th Anniversary Dinner & Dance 23rd June 2018 De Vere Grand Connaught Rooms Queen Street WC2
Southend Thursday 12th July 2018
EAST LONDON CABBIES OUTING
Maldon Wednesday 4th July 2018
TAXI DRIVER OF THE YEAR CHARITY FUND
Dinner & Dance Saturday 25th November 2018 Holiday Inn Regents Park £70 per person
TOP OF THE HOUR JINGLE AND ADVERTS
EXMOUTH MARKET Red zone
BERKLEY STREET J/W PICCADILLY Yellow box cameras
BAGLEYS LANE/NEW KINGS ROAD Yellow box
FULHAM BROADWAY/BARCLAY ROAD Yellow box
CAMDEN 20mph limit
WATERLOO ROAD Zig-Zags
SELFRIDGES Over ranking
LUDGATE HILL Zig-Zags
CLAPHAM HIGH STREET Zig-Zags ISLINGTON 20mph limit
RED ROUTES TfL is actively enforcing yellow box restrictions
TOWER BRIDGE 20 mph speed limit average speed cameras
LIMEHOUSE LINK 30mph speed limit
TERMINUS PLACE Bus only left turn. TfL to issue PCNs
SMITHFIELD Do not park in loading boxes, they are enforced by camera
A13 Average speed cameras in operation
THE CITY 20mph limit
ST JOHNS STREET/SEKFORDE STREET Yellow box junction enforced by camera
M25 & M1 Cameras are now active
A2 Rochester Way Average Speed Cameras working.
Cab Chat is a podcast about London and it World Famous Taxi Drivers, taking a light-hearted and humorous look at whats going on in London